Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Get lean with the green!

Super Green Smoothies

Tropical Dreamin' Smoothie

I am going to be brutally honest. I have been unhappy with my body over the last few years. Plain and simple. I am pretty sure most college grads would agree that once you've graduated and get stuck behind a desk all day, those pounds seem to come out of no where! Growing up, I was fit....or at least I was constantly exercising with soccer practice after school and other activities. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted to, but the fateful time has come which my mother warned me about saying, "All that junk food is going to catch up with you one of these days!" Ok Mom, you were right. It done caught up! And being married to a 'meat n' potatoes' kind of guy isn't exactly pleasing for the figure either. Not complaining, but I definitely feel challenged! 

I have posted before about healthy alternatives for 'work lunches,' but I admit I have still struggled. If I didn't pack my lunch the night before out of laziness, then I found myself starved at about Noon the next day and sneaking in to the snack cabinet at work or heading down the street to grab a sandwich or Chick-Fil-A. That all changed after the first of the year (and not because I made a new year's resolution....that was just coincidental!). My co-worker, Tina, has been my inspiration for my green smoothie kick. She is super healthy and I have often seen (and heard) her making a smoothie for lunch. She has shared some great tips with me! I am now in my 3rd week of lunch smoothies and at least am feeling better about myself :0) 

My biggest piece of advice and the reason I have stuck with this smoothie kick....investing in an individual blender. The kind where you make the smoothie in the same cup you drink out of. So convenient. I also buy my smoothie ingredients and store them in the fridge at work instead of having to pack them each day. 

Below are some ingredients I have included in my smoothies (feel free to experiment which is what I do daily!). Note, I put spinach in every smoothie, and before you make that 'icky' face, you can't even taste it! Oh, and I just made up the names so you can call it whatever you want~!

Green Monster Smoothie:
-Spinach / Kale / whey protein powder / peanut butter / almond milk / apple (cubed)
-Spinach / Kale / whey protein powder / peanut butter / almond milk / banana (cubed)
-I also combined the two above and put apple and banana together
-Instead of apple or banana, add frozen fruit: blueberries, raspberries, peaches

Tropical Dreamin' Smoothie:
Spinach / Chia seeds / carrots (cut up) / pineapple chunks / orange pieces / banana pieces / coconut milk


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Lydia, the blender is a Bella Rocket Blender. I bought it on sale at Macy's a few weeks ago. I love it. So easy!
      Here is a link to the item: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bella-13330-rocket-blender-12-piece?ID=330413

      Delete