Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer Side Dish - Broccoli Salad - great to take to a party

Broccoli Slaw Salad (Olympic Salad)
From: Amy Hoffman


Amy made this salad a few weeks ago and brought it to a get together. It is loaded with flavor and goodness.  Despite the sugar in the dressing part, it is mostly healthy ;0) It is so simple to make that it is a great dish for a last minute get together. It makes a ton so be ready to feed an army with the side dish!


Ingredients:
1 pkg broccoli slaw
1 bunch chopped green onion
1 cup slivered almonds
1 chopped granny smith apple
1/2 c. (or I used one whole) chopped red bell pepper
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 pkg craisins (about 1 - 2 cups)
1 (I used 2) cans mandarin oranges
2 pkgs chicken flavored raman noodles, finely crushed (save packets for dressing)

Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup canola oil (I used the olive oil I already had)
1/3 white or raspberry wine vinegar (I used red wine) 
2 Tbsp. powdered chicken broth (I used the 2 packets from the Raman noodles even though the original recipe said to throw them out and use powdered chicken broth instead. I didn't really find it necessary to throw out a perfectly comparable ingredient)!

Directions: (Ready? You'll blink and miss them!)
Mix all ingredients. Mix dressing and toss with salad. Refrigerate until ready to eat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment